Either way, the narrative is being reinforced and amplified. Just now on CTV a "news" report is pegging the cost of Occupy at something over $714,000. Police, EMS, landscaping, etc.
Cue the manufactured resentment and the divide-and-conquer rhetoric: dirty fucking hippies taking over a public space, with all the usual triggers:
- rampant drug use
- street people
We all know where the conversation leads, of course: our tax dollars supporting a bunch of parasites, yargle bargle bleghhh.
Just in case the message isn't sufficiently clear, CTV follows that "story" with an item about last-minute shopping. (No shit -- people are still shopping two days before Christmas? Wow. Now there's a story that's never been told before. Someone's really working the imagination.)
And finally, a happy-holiday message from a guy in uniform. Because we have to Support the Troops, after all.
Aren't you forgetting something, CTV? Shouldn't there be a ritual incantation of loyalty to the Dear Leader or something?
- How The Globe channels the 1 per cent | #Occupy #classwarfare
- The Sun's effect on our national conversation is obvious, but what about the Globe?
- The corporate media's class-based agenda
- Thoughts for Remembrance Day, and Matt Taibbi figures out the Occupy movement
- Lawrence Martin on Harper's proto-fascism | #cdnpoli
- @TOMayorFord puts Toronto on @KeithOlbermann 's map